I normally cook baby back ribs, but for a change I tried some beef ribs.
- 2 racks of beef ribs
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- Yellow mustard
- Dizzy Pig Cow Lick
- Dizzy Pig All-Purpose Rub
- Stubb’s Smokey Mesquite Bar-B-Q Sauce
- Apple cider vinegar
Note: I prepared each rack with a difference recipe. Rack 1 – EVOO and beef rub, Rack 2 – yellow mustard and pork rub.
Here are the steps for cooking, or smoking, beef ribs:
- As with all ribs, either beef or baby back, remove the membrane. Do this by using a butter knife inserted under the membrane and slowly pull the entire membrane off the ribs.
- Apply the rub of your choice on the ribs, I used Dizzy Pig Cow Lick and Dizzy Dust All-Purpose Rub. I used yellow mustard on one rack and EVOO on the other rack. I find this helps the rub to stick to the ribs. Don’t worry, after cooking there is no mustard taste.
- On the rack with EVOO I used the Dizzy Pig Cow Lick.
- On the rack with yellow mustard I used the Dizzy Dust All-Purpose Rub.
- Wrap the ribs in cellophane and let them sit in the refrigerator for about 2 hours, or you can leave them overnight.
- Setup your BGE, or other smoker, for indirect cooking. Place several chunks of hickory, presoaked in water and apple juice, on the fire just before putting the ribs on. They cooked for about 3.5 hours at 225.
- Make your sauce. Use any leftover rub, cider vinegar, and a good BBQ sauce. I use Stubb’s Smokey Mesquite Bar-B-Q Sauce. Start applying the sauce after the 2 hours of cooking. Baste every 30 minuets.
- At about the 3.5 hour mark take the ribs off and wrap in foil and allow to cook for another 30 minuets.
The beef ribs turned out well, but when it comes to ribs there is no beating pork baby back ribs. Hope you enjoy the recipe. Please give any suggestions you have.
yojoe (in BGE mode) out
Some other posts on cooking beef ribs:
Other recipes for grilling and smoking on a Big Green Egg:
- Tri Tip On A Big Green Egg
- Twice Baked Potatoes On A Big Green Egg
- Prime Rib On A Big Green Egg
- Baby Back Ribs On A Big Green Egg
Filed under: Barbecue, Barbecue (BBQ), Bbq, Big Green Egg, Big Green Egg Recipes, Cooking, Food, How To, Smoking and Grilling Tagged: | baby back ribs, bge+grilling, big green egg ribs prime rib big green egg, egg+grilling, how to cook barbeque beef ribs, how to cook beef ribs, prime rib, rib recipes for green egg, ribs